instaMapper

Where in the world is Jonathan?

1/6/09

Team Leader at work!

I figured I would post a few more pictures of me in action. I just got back from a five day long mission during which time I was living on a Patrol Base... much smaller than the Coordinated Operations Base on which I permanently reside. The unit I was rolling out with goes on missions usually twice a day so it was a busy time. They were eager to get us out to see some of their proposed projects. It is also good for us to meet some of the key leaders, so that we can build a relationship while showing them that we are really trying to help them push much needed projects through for approval.

In this picture, one of the village leaders is showing us a water treatment unit this is in severe disrepair. This type of project is very common in this area of operations. Making sure these wells, canals, and water treatment units are operational is especially important before the dry season arrives.

In this picture we are meeting up with the Iraqi Police for the city we are getting ready to do an evening patrol in. This was right before the video I took during evening prayer.

This is a sheep farmer who is having a hard time feeding his sheep because there is a lack of food for livestock.

Here is the meat market where he butchers and sells his sheep. You would not believe the stench. We are trying to move this market to a different location just outside of town. Right now, it is in the middle of town and creates a sanitation problem because all the butcher shops don't have drains to the sewer or running water. At the end of the day they sweep their shops out onto the sidewalk. The location we have scoped out will have more room, allowing more business, and will be outside the city creating a healthier environment for all.

We were here assessing the progress of a water project that will eventually be able to pump water from the Tigris, treat it, and send it down an underground pipeline to the nearest village.

No comments: